Sacred Heart Parish, Marystown, NL
Full Time – 30 hours per week
Reporting to the Parish Priest, the Administrative Assistant is responsible for a wide range of administrative and general office duties to facilitate the efficient operation of the Parish and provide minimum support to Parish Committees, etc., as approved by the Pastor. This position is responsible for the timely response to internal/external requests and ensure requests requiring further action are relayed to appropriate personnel. This position will require proficiency in office operation procedures, computer skills, communication skills (verbal and written), multitasking, general accounting as well as relationship management and some flexibility in hours as required by Parish. Efficient execution of these duties will depend upon the compliance to these processes and procedures in place by the Archdiocese and the Parish.
- Maintain an ongoing liaison with Parish Priest to determine priority issues and to ensure Parish Priest is updated on Parish issues.
- Answer phone, check messages (phone & email), and sort incoming mail; prioritize and answer communications accordingly and appropriately or relay to appropriate personnel.
- Maintain a filing system as per Parish requirements.
- Ensure bank deposits processed on a timely basis and ensure safety of cash/cheques at all times.
- Ensure the timely and accurate entry of accounting data in the Simply Accounting program. Prepare monthly financial statements/reports for distribution to the Finance Committee.
- Manage incoming stipend receipts for Parish services.
- Baptisms, Confirmations, Marriages – record data, prepare documents, ensure items required for celebration of the Sacraments are available, update Parish records and maintain copies of documents at Parish.
- Funerals – act as contact for the Funeral Home and/or family members. Ensure proper information is obtained and Pastor and Bereavement team notified.
- Input contribution data to Parish Friendly Software, prepare collection envelopes for distribution and process year end receipts for tax purposes. Issue manual receipts when required.
- Prepare weekly Bulletin for distribution at weekend masses.
- Order Office and Church supplies as needed.
- Respond to inquiries from RCEC and other Parishes
- Other related duties as assigned by Parish Priest
Administer Parish office and provide support to Pastor and Parish Committees with efficiency, professionalism, confidentiality and discretion.
· Parish Priest and other Parish Staff
· Staff of the Archdiocese
· Administrators and the staff of other Parishes
· Parish Volunteers
· Advisory Committees
· Proficient in Microsoft Office, Internet and use of general office equipment
· Proficient in the use of Computerized Accounting Software
· Ability to work with minimal to no supervision
· General office administration skills
· Strong organizational skills, able to multitask
· Ability to work as team player and foster a positive work environment
· Exceptional oral and written communication skills
· Experience in Parish Friendly Software and knowledge of ministries/sacramental services offered by a Roman Catholic Parish would be an asset.
· Honest and trustworthy
· Ability to use independent judgement
· Ability to work with and maintain high level of confidentiality
· Ability to multi-task
· Flexible, accountable, tactful and diplomatic
· Positive attitude
· Healthy ego
· Goal oriented
· Neatness and appropriateness in appearance
· Willing to learn
· Contribute to suggesting positive solutions for challenges
· Diploma in Office Administration or the successful completion of Office Administration courses coupled with 5 years of Administrative Assistant experience.
· Accounting skills to process accounting data in computerized accounting system ensuring timely and accurate monthly financial statements.
· Experience in and knowledge of computerized accounting required.