Prayer of the Faithful
Writing the Universal Prayer (Prayer of the Faithful) takes skill and talent. But you don't have to do it alone. Writing these prayers could be a small group ministry.
- Pray for wisdom, creativity and guidance.
- Read the scriptural texts for the day and underline key phrases.
- List a few images from the liturgical season for which you are writing. For example, Easter would have images of new life, resurrection and mission.
- List the concerns that are on people's minds right now in the parish community, city, nation and world.
- Pick one form which you will use for all the intercessions. Eg. "For ____."
- Begin writing, playing with the images and scriptural phrases, using the four basic topics from the General instructions of the Roman Missal, #70): 1. Needs of the Church; 2. Public Authorities and the Salvation of the World; 3. Those Burdened; 4. Local Community
- Keep the wording short and tight, checking for "preachy" attitudes or narrow wording. Imagine your assembly. Can they all assent to this prayer?
- Speak out loud what you have written.
- Be ready to change it even 5 minutes before Mass if a critical event takes place between the writing of your last draft and Mass.
200 Military Road
St. John’s, NL A1C 2E8
Tel: (709) 726-3660
Fax: (709) 726-8021