Pastoral Appointments 2016
Dear Faithful of the Archdiocese,
As you are aware, in the letter I wrote to you on March 4, 2016 the Archdiocese has undertaken a new process of Strategic Planning for our future. As a part of this process we are looking at the ways we provide ministry in our parishes and other chaplaincies, and we are examining how we can better serve and meet the needs of the Archdiocese as we move forward. We will be asking parishes to work together by discovering new ways of providing ministry, increasing the role of the laity, and asking the difficult yet necessary questions around parish church buildings.
As a part of this process of renewal, this year I formed a new personnel committee, consisting of three elected priests and for the first time, we have 3 lay people with me and my two Vicars General. Based on their recommendations and the fruit of my own prayerful consideration, all of the pastoral appointments for the priests this year will be temporary ONE YEAR terms.
Making temporary appointments will allow the Strategic Planning Committee of the Archdiocese time to continue to develop its plan, in consultation with the priests and parishioners of the Archdiocese. Together, let us ask the Holy Spirit for a spirit of collaboration and renewal during this period of transition.
As Archbishop of St. John’s, I wish to make the following appointments:
1. Fr. Charlie Kelly will be going back in to retirement, from ministry at Holy Family Parish, Paradise. I thank him for his help and ministry there since the death of Fr. Dave Butler.
These appointments will take place July 8, unless otherwise indicated.
2. Fr. Ken Walsh, currently parish priest of Holy Family Parish, Ferryland is appointed Administrator of Holy Family Parish, Paradise, and Administrator of Holy Rosary Parish, Portugal Cove, with residence in Paradise.
3. Fr. Philip Melvin, currently assisting in hospital ministry, is appointed Hospital Chaplain, at St. Clare’s and the Miller Center. Additionally, he will provide pastoral ministry at Holy Rosary Parish, Portugal Cove on the weekends. He will remain in residence at Mary Queen of the World Parish.
4. Fr. Ray Earle, currently parish priest of Holy Rosary Parish, Portugal Cove and Administrator of St. Michael’s Parish, Bell Island will continue as Administrator of St. Michael’s Parish, Bell Island, with residence on Bell Island.
5. Fr. Francis Roche, currently Chaplain to the Health Sciences Center, will be going on Sabbatical, and Fr. Tony Bidgood, C.S.S.R., will cover the Health Sciences for the year.
6. Fr. Bill Pomroy is retiring after 52 years of faithful ministry in the Archdiocese. He is currently parish priest of St. Edward’s Parish, Kelligrews. Fr. Cecil Critch,currently parish priest of Sacred Heart Parish, Marystown and St. Patrick’s Parish, Burin, is appointed Administrator of St. Edward’s, Kelligrews.
7. Fr. Emmanuel Quagraine, a priest on loan from the Diocese of Cape Coast, Ghana will be appointed Administrator of Sacred Heart Parish, Marystown, St. Patrick’s Parish, Burin, on October 8. Until his arrival, Fr. Clem Flaherty will be temporary Administrator.
8. Deacon Jim Fleming, who will be ordained priest June 9, is appointed Parochial Vicar (Assistant Priest) to Sacred Heart Parish, Marystown, and St. Patrick’s Parish, Burin. Fr. Jose Bustalino, currently the assistant priest will be finishing his contract in the Archdiocese.
9. Fr. John Costello, returning from sabbatical, will remain in chaplaincy to the Long Term Care Homes in St. John’s, and is appointed as Administrator of St. Francis Xavier Parish, Long Harbour-Southern Harbour. He will reside at O’Dwyer Apartments.
10. Fr. Jose Joaquin, currently covering the Long Term Care Homes in St. John’s for Fr. John Costello, and Administrator of St. Francis Xavier Parish, Long Harbour-Southern Harbour, is appointed Administrator of Holy Family Parish, Ferryland.
11. Fr. Jan Konieczny, currently Administrator of Sacred Heart Parish, St. Bride’s, will be assigned to other ministry in the Archdiocese. He will reside at, O’Dwyer Apartments.
12. Fr. Vargees Devas, currently Chaplain to St. Clare’s Hospital and the Miller Center, is appointed Administrator of Sacred Heart Parish, St. Brides.
13. Fr. Nelson Boren will continue as Administrator of St. Thomas Aquinas Parish, St. Lawrence and St. Joseph’s Parish, Lamaline.
14. Mr. Doug Barrett, seminarian, will be assigned to the Basilica Parish, St. John’s for his Pastoral Internship.
Sincerely yours in Christ,
Most Reverend Martin W. Currie, D.D.
Archbishop of St. John’s